Frequently Asked Questions

Tuition Payments

Tuition, fees, housing & meal plan charges are always due the first day of the quarter. Late fees and interest apply to accounts at the close of business on the 15th of each month.

Tuition related fees will be posted to the Western Account online at the time of registration while housing and meal plan related fees will typically be posted closer to the start of each quarter. These fees are posted at different times, but they are all due on the first day of the quarter. 

Any of these charges incurred after the start of the term are due immediately.

Visit our How do I... page for step by step instructions and short instructional videos on paying on your Western Account Online.

All payments to a Western Account Online should be made online using an e-Check. Paying by e-Check is secure, available 24 hours a day—7 days a week, provides immediate credit to the student’s account, and has no additional fees. Western also currently accepts online payments made with credit and debit cards. Both debit and credit cards processed through the credit card portal incur an additional fee; we have a limited ability to accept check, money order, or bill pay payments by mail—make sure to include your Western ID number (W#) on the check to prevent any delay in processing. Please note, checks are credited when processed by the SBO, not by postmark. You should always use an e-Check to guarantee your payment date; GET and 529 plan payments usually take 14 days from the time the funds are requested to disburse to the Western Account Online.

All Western Account Online payments should be made online through the Payment Portal. Online payments are secure, instant, and can be made even when the university is closed.

Western’s Payment Plan is offered quarterly to students with a current balance.  During the open enrollment period students enroll by selecting the option in their Western Account Online. Students with past due balances are ineligible to enroll in this plan. For more information please visit our payment plan page. 

Late fees and interest are assessed at the close of business on the 15th of each month. A $55 late fee and 1% interest charge will be assessed to all past due accounts. In addition, you may receive a hold on your account, which will prevent registration.

A late payment fee was assessed if you had past due balance that was not paid by the 15th of the month.

Returned checks are subject to a $25 fee for the first returned check and a $50 fee for each subsequent returned check.

Negative credit balances can occur from an over-payment, excess financial aid, returns or tuition adjustments. Make sure you select your refund preference with BankMobile at

If your original payment was via check, debit or credit card, your refund will automatically be issued after 10 business days. If your original payment was via financial aid, your refund will be issued the next scheduled refunding day.  Make sure you select your refund preference with BankMobile at

For any other credit balances please contact our office at

You will need to request the funds from the GET program. Once they approve your disbursement request, Western Washington University will request the funds to be sent.

Please allow 14 days for your GET disbursement to apply to the Western Account Online. For more information or questions regarding your GET account, please contact the GET program:
Phone: 1-800-955-2318 (toll-free)
Phone: 360-753-7803 (Olympia, Washington)
Fax: 360-704-6200
How GET Works

A 529 Plan is a college savings plan established with a financial investment company. Contact your 529 company directly to request a check to be sent. Western Washington University currently does not accept wire payments. Make sure the student’s name and Western ID number is provided to ensure timely posting.

Your sponsor will provide you with a detailed authorization document that you are required to provide to the Student Business Office. Western Washington University will only invoice for what is indicated on the authorization document. You are responsible for paying your account balance if payment is not received.

Financial Aid

If you complete an “Authorization to Apply Financial Aid Funds” form a week prior to financial aid funds being disbursed, and the bookstore purchase occurs prior to a refund being processed, any excess aid will then cover the bookstore charge on your account. The form only needs to be completed once.

You may have charges assessed to your account that the federal government prohibits universities from paying unless the student has authorized us to do so by completing the Authorization to Apply Financial Aid Funds form.  Even if you have an Authorization to Apply Financial Aid Funds form, there are certain charges that cannot be paid by financial aid directly, these include, but are not limited to late fees, interest and returned check fees. You may have also had a charge applied to your account after your refund was processed, therefore financial aid would no longer be available to apply to the balance.  You must use your refund or pay out of pocket for these additional charges.

Review your financial aid tab by logging into Web4U and clicking on Financial Aid & Scholarships > Eligibility > Student Requirements to review any requirements. Examples include Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling or an MPN (Master Promissory Note). If you have been provided financial aid based on full time enrollment, ensure you are registered full time (12+ for undergrads/ 8+ for grads).

Further questions should be directed at

Although financial aid is disbursed to your Western Account Online on Tuesdays and Fridays, excess financial aid is refunded every day starting the first day of the quarter for the first two weeks, then every Monday and Wednesday after that. Refunds are processed by a third party, BankMobile, and will disburse to your selected refund preference.  Make sure you select your refund preference with BankMobile at

During fall, winter and spring quarters, tuition is set at a per credit rate up to 10-18 credits. If your enrollment change brings your total credit load below 10 credits and occurred within the tuition refund period (see Registrars Office important dates), you will receive a refund.  Be advised that reducing your enrollment may also affect your financial aid eligibility or reduce your financial aid.  Contact or 360.650.3470 to determine this before reducing your enrollment.

Please review the Withdrawing from WWU portion of the financial aid website for more information.  Although you may be eligible for a refund of tuition and fees, students who withdraw from the university may be required to repay part or all of their financial aid based on the percentage of the term they have attended and confirmed participation in their coursework.  Please contact financial aid for specifics regarding your individual financial aid.  Please contact or 360.650.3470 for specifics regarding financial aid eligibility.

Financial Holds

Please login into your Web4U and review your holds. Questions regarding SA, LC, PE, and PL holds can be directed to the Student Business Online. For other holds, please contact the phone number associated with the hold.

You must be in good standing and your Western Account Online must be current to register for classes. Please contact the Student Business Online for assistance.

The financial hold should be lifted automatically if the system identifies a low balance.  If a hold continues to prevent registration, please contact the Student Business Online.

The agency you were referred to, or you may contact the Student Business Online, Debt Recovery Unit at or call 360-650-2943.

You may pay at the Student Business Online in person or over the phone. You will still be responsible for paying the collection fees, added at the time of payment.

Once an account is sent to an outside agency, there are additional charges of up to 50 percent of the debt owing to Western Washington University.

General Questions

Did you know you can accomplish most of your business with us online? You can make your Western Account payments online, book an appointment to discuss your Western Account with one of our specialists, or view our How To library for helpful videos any time, day or night.  

Still have questions? We are available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. by email at and phone at 360-650-2865. We also have lobby hours (location Old Main 110) from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.


Most people will find us at For those looking for our physical location, our lobby is located on the ground floor of Old Main in room 110 and is open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Your student can send you a payer invitation through their Western Account Online. Once logged in, click student name in top left-hand corner, on the next page click ‘Send a payer invitation’. Your student will be prompted to enter payer name and email address information. In order for our office to talk with a parent, the student must also fill out a “Release of Financial Information” form. You can also watch an informative video on our How To page.

Contact your student to have them reset your password. Your student will log into Web4U and select Student > Student records > Western Account Online. Once logged in, click the student name in top left-hand corner, on the next page they will click the payer’s name and select ‘Resend payer invitation’.

Western Washington University provides IRS Form 1098-T to all students who have qualified tuition and educational expenses billed to them during the previous calendar year. This form is informational only and should not be considered as tax opinion or advice. The form alerts students that they may be eligible for federal income tax education credits. Just because a student is issued Form 1098-T does not mean they are eligible for the tax credit. To determine the amount of qualified tuition and fees paid, and the amount of scholarships and grants received, a student should use their own financial records. The form is provided in January of each year.

If you have questions about the amounts shown on Form 1098-T, contact the Student Business Online. Consult with  tax advisor for questions regarding eligibility requirements and calculation of any allowable education tax credit.

You can find your 1098-T tax form by going to Web4U >  Student > Student Records > Western Account Online and selecting the appropriate year in the 1098-T Detail Information box.

Authorized users can view the 1098-T form by logging into the student account online as an authorized user. At the bottom right you will see the “1098-T Tax Detail Information” box. Select the appropriate year.

Western Washington University’s primary means of communication with students is e-mail. You will receive a monthly e-mail notification if there is activity on your account. The University does not send out bills or invoices, only emails regarding monthly statements if there has been activity on the Western Account. We recommend you check your Western Account Online multiple times throughout the quarter to confirm that no new charges have been applied to the account.

You can update your address via the “Personal Information” tab on Web4U.